Whether you’re hosting a pool party with friends or simply looking to spice up your family pool time, adding some exciting pool games to the mix is the perfect way to turn an ordinary swim into an extraordinary splash fest!
We all know that sometimes, lazing around the pool can get a bit predictable, and that’s where these pool game ideas come in. So, whether you’re planning a neighborhood pool party or just want to amp up the family fun, read on for fabulous pool games that are sure to make a splash.
Let’s dive in, because who says the pool is just for swimming? Get ready to take your pool experience to the next level!
Best Summer Pool Games
Summertime is in full swing, and if your family is anything like mine, you’re spending countless hours soaking up the sun by the pool. But let’s face it, after a while, just swimming laps can get a little, well, predictable. So, I’ve rounded up five super fun pool games that will turn your pool time into a splash-tastic family adventure!
- Marco Polo Underwater Edition: You’ve probably played the classic Marco Polo a million times, but have you tried the underwater version? In this twist, the person who is “it” wears a snorkel mask while keeping their eyes closed. The rest of the family scatters around the pool, and instead of calling out “Marco,” the person underwater listens for giggles and splashes. Trust me, it adds a whole new level of excitement to the game!
- Noodle Jousting: Grab a couple of pool noodles and let the jousting begin! Each family member gets on a pool float, armed with a noodle lance. The goal is to knock opponents off their floats without falling off yourself. It’s like a medieval battle, but with a refreshing twist. Bonus points for creative team names and victory celebrations!
- Frozen T-Shirt Race: Here’s a chilly pool game challenge that’ll have everyone laughing. Soak a bunch of t-shirts in water, fold them, and freeze them overnight. The next day, hand out the frozen shirts to each family member. The task? Thaw and put on the frozen shirt as fast as possible. It’s a race against time and a guaranteed way to beat the summer heat!
- Treasure Hunt Dive: Who says treasure hunts are just for land? Toss a variety of waterproof toys and objects into the pool, then give each family member a list of items to find. Get ready for some epic underwater scavenger hunting! You can spice it up by assigning point values to different items, and the one with the most points at the end gets a special poolside treat.
- Human Whirlpool: My kids love this pool game! Turn your family into a swirling vortex of fun with the Human Whirlpool game. Have everyone hold hands in a circle and start walking in the same direction. Gradually pick up the pace until you’re all moving as one massive whirlpool. It’s a blast and a great way to cool off – just be sure to watch out for any rogue waves of laughter!
- Water Balloon Toss Relay: This is a fun game which always ends in hilarity! Fill a bucket with water balloons. Divide the family into teams and line them up on opposite sides of the pool. The first person on each team takes a water balloon and tosses it to their teammate across the pool. If the balloon bursts, the team is out; the last team with an intact balloon wins!
- Duck Pond Challenge: Grab a bunch of rubber ducks and write numbers on the bottom with a waterproof marker. Toss the ducks into the pool. Each family member picks a duck, and the number on the bottom corresponds to a prize (small treats or trinkets). It’s a luck-of-the-draw pool game that adds an element of surprise to your pool day!
- Water Limbo: This is a fun game in the pool to play to music. Grab a pool noodle or use the hose to create a stream of water above the pool. Have one person hold each end of the noodle or hose. Family members take turns trying to limbo under the water stream without getting wet. Lower the noodle/hose after each round, and the last dry person standing is the winner!
- Splash Potato: This fun swimming pool game is a wet version of hot potato using a water-soaked sponge. First off, have family members form a circle in the pool. Start passing the wet sponge around while music plays. When the music stops, the person holding the sponge performs a fun water-related challenge (do a cannonball, swim to the other side, etc.). Keep the laughs coming as the game continues!
- Floating Tic-Tac-Toe: For this pool game you will need to create a giant floating tic-tac-toe board using pool noodles or inflatable rings. Cut out X and O shapes from foam or pool-friendly materials. Family members take turns tossing their chosen shape onto the floating board to try and get three in a row. It’s a twist on the classic game and adds a strategic element to your pool play.
Best Pool Game Ideas Final Note
These games are sure to keep the family entertained and make your pool time even more enjoyable. Dive in and have a splashing good time together! These fun pool game ideas are guaranteed to add a splash of excitement to your pool days and create lasting memories for your family. So grab those swimsuits, sunscreen up, and let the pool party begin! Click here to read about our best Pool Party ideas for the ultimate fun in the sun!