Ever wondered how to make a flower crown? Flower crowns are the perfect accessory for any season, plus if you are the creative type, they are fun and really easy to make. Whether it’s for your Baby Shower, Bridal Shower, Wedding, or your bridesmaids, our step-by-step guide will show you how to make a DIY flower crown to help you fulfill your fairy fantasy.
Before getting started, make sure you have all the materials you’ll need.
DIY Flower Crown Materials
- Floral tape – Floral tape is best for wrapping fresh flowers together because it easily blends in. You can find it in shades of green, brown, and other natural colors so will be barely noticeable.
- Scissors – A sharp pair of scissors will be handy for cutting flowers, wire, and tape.
- Craft wire – Rather than using pre-cut wire, a roll of craft wire allows you to measure the wire for your crown to the exact measurement of your head. You will use this to tie flowers to your crown.
- Wire – Also known as pliable twine, grapevine wire, or vine wire, it will be used as the base of your crown.
- Flowers and greenery – Cut stems to about 2 to 3 inches to make assembly easy. Try to get a mix of larger statement and smaller filler flowers to vary your textures and design.
How to Pick Your Flowers
The flowers that you use will influence the look and feel of the crown. For example, bigger statement flowers will give your crown a bold look, while crowns with smaller flowers are great for a softer, more delicate look. If you’re not a superstar botanist, don’t worry. Here’s a guide to the best flowers for your look of choice:
- Spray Rose
- Baby’s Breath
- Leather Fern
- Dusty Miller
- Lemon Leaf
Don’t be afraid to get creative and make your own unique combination. Once your flowers are picked out, follow the steps below to start making your flower crown.
How to Make A DIY Flower Crown
Step 1: Shape the wire
Wrap the wire around your head to find the best fit. Leave half an inch of extra room, then cut the excess wire. Secure the ends together with floral tape.
Tip: If you’re planning to wear your flower crown to a special event, take into consideration your hairstyle. Your crown will likely fit differently depending on how your hair is styled.
Step 2: Wrap greenery around the base
Using the floral tape, attach the stems of your greenery to the floral wire. If you’d like your crown to have more of a focus on florals, skip this step and instead add more flowers.
Step 3: Create mini-flower bunches
Before attaching flowers to your crown, start by bunching three blooms into a group and wrap their stems together with floral tape. To make sure it’s secure, wrap the floral tape from the base of the flower to the bottom of the step. Once you have around eight bunches, you can start attaching them to your crown.
Tip: To create a balanced look, bunch your statement flowers with smaller, more delicate flowers.
Step 4: Attach your flower bunches to the crown
Take your first bunch of flowers and attach the stems to your crown using floral tape or craft wire. Continue to layer more bunches over the stems to create a seamless look.
Tip: make sure that the flowers are going the same direction, facing outwards. If you would like to create a focal point, attach a couple statement flower bunches at the front or side of the crown.
Store your finished crown in the fridge to keep it nice and fresh, and to make it last longer! Spritz with water to refresh the blooms when you’re ready to wear it.
For more inspiration on Boho styling for your party, check out our Boho Bridal Shower post here.
I use affiliate links in some blog posts. If you click through and make a purchase, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to yourself. Thank you for your support.