Can you believe Thanksgiving is just around the corner? It’s that time of year when we gather with family and friends, give thanks, and indulge in some seriously delicious comfort food. But why stop there? Let’s add some extra fun and laughter to the mix with these fantastic Thanksgiving games that everyone, from the littlest turkey to the wisest owl, can enjoy.
I’ve rounded up a variety of Thanksgiving games that are perfect for kids, adults, and even those big extended family gatherings. Let’s dive right in!
Thanksgiving Games for Kids:
1. Turkey Trot Relay Race: Line up the kiddos and have them do a turkey trot race while balancing a plastic ball on a spoon. The team that finishes first wins a little prize!
2. Pin the Feather on Turkey: A classic with a Thanksgiving twist! Blindfold the little ones and have them try to pin a feather on a poster of a turkey. It’s a hilarious game that never gets old.
3. Leaf Pile Treasure Hunt: Hide mini pumpkins, acorns, or even small treats in a leaf pile, and let the kids dig in to find their treasures. It’s like an autumnal Easter egg hunt!
4. Pumpkin Bowling: Set up a bowling alley with mini pumpkins as pins and a slightly larger pumpkin as the bowling ball. Let the little bowlers roll away!
5. Thanksgiving Bingo: Create bingo cards with Thanksgiving-related images and terms. As you call out the words, kids can mark them off. The first one to get a line shouts, “Bingo!”
6. Cranberry Spoon Race: Balance a cranberry or small round object on a spoon and have kids race to the finish line without dropping it. The giggles are guaranteed!
7. Turkey Freeze Dance: Play some upbeat Thanksgiving tunes and have the kids dance around. When the music stops, they have to freeze like statues just like turkeys!
8. Corn Husk Doll Craft: Combine a craft activity with a game by having kids make their corn husk dolls. Then, they can show off their creations in a mini fashion show!
9. Pilgrim Hat Ring Toss: Craft mini Pilgrim hats and set them up as targets for a ring toss game. It’s a great way to work on hand-eye coordination.
10. Thanksgiving Story Starters: Sit the kids in a circle and have them take turns adding a sentence to a Thanksgiving-themed story. It’s a creative and collaborative game that’s sure to spark laughter.
Click here to read about The Best College Party Themes That Are Guaranteed Fun
Outdoor Thanksgiving Games for Kids:
And let’s not limit the festivities to just indoors. The crisp fall air and vibrant autumn landscape call for some fantastic outdoor Thanksgiving games that will have everyone enjoying the great outdoors while celebrating this special holiday. From energetic activities to laid-back games, I’ve rounded up a variety of outdoor Thanksgiving games. Let’s make this Thanksgiving memorable by taking fun outdoors!
1. Turkey Tag: Give the classic game of tag a Thanksgiving twist. One player is the “Turkey,” and when they tag someone, that person becomes the new Turkey. Get those little legs running!
2. Nature Scavenger Hunt: Create a list of autumnal items like colored leaves, acorns, and pinecones. Kids can hunt for these treasures in the backyard or local park.
3. Hay Bale Stack Race: Stack hay bales in a pyramid shape and have the kids race to the top and back down. It’s a simple yet exhilarating game that’s perfect for outdoor fun.
4. Pumpkin Bowling: Set up a makeshift bowling alley with pumpkins as pins and a small ball as the bowling ball. Kids will love watching those pumpkins tumble!
5. Sack Races: Grab some burlap sacks and have kids hop their way to the finish line. It’s a nostalgic game that brings laughter and friendly competition.
6. Leaf Pile Jump: Rake up a huge leaf pile and let the kids dive right in! It’s like a fluffy, fall-themed bouncy castle that’s impossible to resist.
7. Outdoor Art Gallery: Provide kids with chalk and let them unleash their creativity on the pavement. From turkeys to pumpkin patches, they can create their own Thanksgiving masterpieces.
8. Fall-Themed Obstacle Course: Design an obstacle course with challenges like crawling under a “tree trunk” (a log), leaping over “boulders” (pumpkins), and weaving through “cornstalks” (stakes with corn husks).
9. Apple Bobbing: Fill a tub with water and toss in some apples. Kids will have a blast trying to catch the apples with their teeth – just like the good ol’ days!
10. Pumpkin Toss: Set up a pumpkin tossing game where kids take turns tossing small pumpkins into baskets or marked spots. The one with the most successful throws wins a prize!
Thanksgiving Games for Adults:
1. Gratitude Scavenger Hunt: Create a list of things to find that represent gratitude, like a family photo or a handwritten thank-you note. Adults can team up or hunt solo.
2. Cranberry Pop Quiz: Prepare a list of fun and surprising Thanksgiving facts, and see who among the adults knows the most about this beloved holiday.
3. Pumpkin Decorating Contest: Provide pumpkins and decorating supplies, and let the adults channel their inner artists. Vote for the most creative pumpkin at the end!
4. Cooking Challenge: Put a twist on the traditional cooking competition by having adults prepare a Thanksgiving dish using surprise ingredients. The tastiest dish wins bragging rights!
5. Thanksgiving Trivia: Test everyone’s knowledge of Thanksgiving history, traditions, and pop culture with a trivia game. The winner could get a pie-eating head start!
6. Pie Tasting Party: Have each adult bring a different pie to share, and rate them based on taste, presentation, and creativity. It’s a sweet way to indulge and bond.
7. Thanksgiving Charades: Put a Thanksgiving spin on the classic charades game by acting out holiday-related phrases, dishes, and activities. Get ready for some hilarious moments!
8. Leftover Relay Race: Set up a relay race with “leftover” props like a turkey baster, a whisk, and a potato masher. The team that finishes the relay first wins a prize!
9. Table Setting Challenge: Provide a variety of Thanksgiving-themed decorations and challenge adults to create the most stunning and unique table setting.
10. Grateful Circle Share: Gather in a circle and take turns sharing something you’re grateful for this year. It’s a heartwarming and meaningful activity that truly captures the spirit of Thanksgiving.
Outdoor Thanksgiving Games for Adults:
2. Harvest Photo Scavenger Hunt: Compile a list of photo prompts that require participants to snap pictures of fall-related scenes and objects, like a colorful leaf or a cozy blanket.
3. Pie-Plate Disc Golf: Transform disposable pie plates into makeshift frisbees and create a disc golf course in your yard. Aim for designated targets like trees or hula hoops.
4. Leaf Raking Relay: Divide into teams and race to rake up a pile of leaves. The team that finishes first wins a small prize plus, everyone gets a clean yard!
5. Apple Orchard Tasting: If you have apple trees in your yard, set up a tasting station with different types of apples. Participants can vote for their favorite variety.
6. Thanksgiving-themed cornhole: Customize your cornhole boards with Thanksgiving-themed designs and play a friendly game of cornhole with family and friends.
7. Fall Nature Bingo: Create bingo cards with fall-themed items like pinecones, squirrels, and colorful leaves. As you spot these items outdoors, mark them off on your card.
8. Outdoor Puzzle Hunt: Hide puzzle pieces around the yard, and teams must work together to find and assemble the pieces to reveal a Thanksgiving image or message.
9. Turkey Trot 5K: Participate in or organize a Turkey Trot 5K in your local area. It’s a great way to get active and give back to the community during the holiday season.
10. Fall Foliage Contest: Challenge participants to find the most beautiful and vibrant fall leaf. Judge the leaves based on color, size, and uniqueness.
Click here to read about Thanksgiving Baby Shower – Plan the perfect Baby Shower this Fall
Thanksgiving Games for Large Groups:
1. Thanksgiving Family Feud: Create a Thanksgiving-themed Family Feud game with questions about traditions, favorite dishes, and funny holiday moments.
2. Cornucopia Relay Race: Divide the group into teams and have them compete in a relay race while carrying a cornucopia filled with mini pumpkins or faux fruits.
3. Harvest Moon Dance-Off: Set up a dance floor and have a dance-off with a harvest moon twist. Award prizes for the best dance moves, most creative dance, and more!
4. Gobble Guessing Game: Fill a jar with candy corn or other small treats and have everyone guess the number of candies inside. The closest guess wins the jar!
5. Thanksgiving Pictionary: Divide the group into teams and take turns drawing and guessing Thanksgiving-themed words and phrases. It’s an artistic and hilarious showdown!
6. Turkey Trot Obstacle Course: Create a fun obstacle course with challenges like “stuff the turkey” (stuffing pillows into a turkey costume), “pumpkin roll,” and “apple bobbing.”
7. Thanksgiving Photo Booth: Set up a Thanksgiving-themed photo booth with props like Pilgrim hats, turkey masks, and autumn leaves for a memorable photo session.
8. Gourd Rolling Race: Line up teams and give each person a small gourd. The goal is to roll the gourd across the finish line using only your nose – a hilarious challenge!
9. Pie-Stacking Contest: Challenge participants to stack as many mini pumpkin pies as they can in a limited time. The one with the tallest pie tower wins!
10. Pass the Gratitude: Form a circle and start by having one person say something they’re thankful for. The next person repeats the first gratitude and adds their own. Keep passing it on until everyone has shared their appreciation.
Outdoor Thanksgiving Games for Large Groups:
1. Harvest Olympics: Set up a series of outdoor challenges like sack races, three-legged races, and water balloon tosses. Keep score and award medals for extra fun!
2. Thanksgiving Relay Race: Organize a relay race with Thanksgiving-themed tasks like carrying a pumpkin, putting on a Pilgrim hat, and balancing a spoon with a cranberry.
3. Pumpkin Painting Party: Provide pumpkins and painting supplies for everyone to unleash their inner artists. Display the painted pumpkins as decorations for the rest of the day.
4. Hayride Adventure: Arrange a hayride around your property or a nearby farm. It’s a perfect way to enjoy the fall scenery and spend quality time with loved ones.
5. Giant Lawn Jenga: Build a giant Jenga tower using wooden blocks and take turns pulling out pieces without letting the tower collapse.
6. Thanksgiving Capture the Flag: Divide into two teams and play a Thanksgiving-themed version of Capture the Flag. Use fall leaves as the “flags” and have a blast strategizing and sneaking around.
7. Outdoor Thanksgiving Karaoke: Set up an outdoor karaoke station and take turns belting out your favorite tunes while enjoying the fresh air.
8. Gourd Roll and Relay: Divide into teams and roll pumpkins or gourds through an obstacle course. The team that completes the course first wins!
9. Outdoor Craft Stations: Set up different craft stations outdoors, where participants can create autumn wreaths, pinecone bird feeders, and other festive decorations.
10. Thanksgiving Nature Walk: Organize a leisurely nature walk where participants can appreciate the fall foliage, collect fallen leaves, and share what they’re thankful for along the way.
So there you have it, folks a delightful array of Thanksgiving games that’ll have everyone from the littlest pumpkin to the wisest turkey smiling and laughing. Whether you’re hosting a small family gathering or a large feast, these games are sure to add an extra layer of warmth and joy to your Thanksgiving celebration. Wishing you all a fantastic and fun-filled Thanksgiving!
I use affiliate links in some blog posts. If you click through and make a purchase, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to yourself. Thank you for your support.