Today, I’m going to spill all the beans on how to throw a Great Gatsby-themed extravaganza that’ll transport your guests straight into the roaring twenties. From flapper dresses to jazz-filled nights, get ready to step back in time and party like Gatsby himself! So, grab your feathered headbands and let’s get started.
How to plan a Great Gatsby Party
1. Set the Scene:
To create that signature Gatsby ambiance, focus on opulence and decadence. Think gold, black, and white for your color scheme. Incorporate sequins, pearls, and feathers as decorations. Consider renting or purchasing some vintage furniture pieces to really set the stage.
2. Send Out the Invitations:
Channel your inner Daisy Buchanan with elegant, art-deco inspired invitations. You can opt for classic paper invites or go digital for a modern twist. Make sure to include a dress code – flapper dresses, tuxedos, and spats are a must!
3. Jazz It Up:
What’s a Gatsby party without a killer playlist? Set the mood with some roaring twenties jazz tunes. A live band or a jazz playlist will add that authentic touch and keep the party swinging all night long!
4. Dress to Impress:
Encourage your guests to embrace the roaring twenties fashion. Ladies, think flapper dresses, cloche hats, and long strands of pearls. Gentlemen, grab your three-piece suits, bowties, and don’t forget the pocket squares!
5. Libations Galore:
Stock up on the finest liquors and serve classic cocktails like the Martini, Sidecar, and of course, the iconic Gin Rickey. Don’t forget to have plenty of champagne on hand for toasting to the good life!
6. Indulge in Gourmet Eats:
Keep the menu sophisticated yet indulgent. Serve up an array of canapés, oysters, and caviar if you’re feeling extra fancy. Don’t forget the decadent desserts – think chocolate-dipped strawberries and champagne-soaked cupcakes!
7. Host a Gatsby-inspired Game:
Add a touch of whimsy with a Gatsby-inspired game. Consider a roaring twenties trivia or a scavenger hunt with hidden clues around your venue. The winner could receive a vintage-inspired keepsake!
8. Capture the Memories:
Set up a photo booth complete with props like feather boas, top hats, and long cigarette holders. Your guests will have a blast posing and capturing memories of this glamorous night.
9. Go the Extra Mile:
Consider hiring a professional photographer or videographer to capture the magic of the evening. You’ll have stunning visuals to cherish for years to come!
10. Party Favors Fit for a Gatsby Affair:
Send your guests home with a little piece of the night. Think small trinkets like personalized flasks, engraved keychains, or even custom-made candles to remind them of the roaring fun they had!
Remember, darling, it’s all about the details. From the twinkling lights to the clinking glasses, every element should transport your guests back in time to the era of Gatsby’s lavish soirees. So, get ready to dazzle, and let the Gatsby-themed festivities begin!
Great Gatsby Party Food Ideas
Hosting a Great Gatsby party calls for an indulgent spread that reflects the opulence of the era. Here are some food ideas inspired by the 1920s:
- Oysters Rockefeller:
- A classic dish of oysters topped with a rich mixture of spinach, herbs, and butter, then baked to perfection.
- Shrimp Cocktail:
- Chilled shrimp served with a zesty cocktail sauce for a refreshing and elegant appetizer.
- Deviled Eggs:
- A popular hors d’oeuvre, deviled eggs can be jazzed up with a touch of caviar or smoked salmon.
- Caviar and Blini:
- Elevate your appetizer game with a caviar station served with delicate buckwheat blini and traditional accompaniments like sour cream and chives.
- Serve a variety of bite-sized, open-faced sandwiches with gourmet toppings like smoked salmon, cream cheese, and dill.
- Beef Wellington Bites:
- Miniature versions of the classic dish, featuring tender beef fillet encased in puff pastry.
- Stuffed Mushrooms:
- Fill mushroom caps with a savory mixture of cream cheese, herbs, and breadcrumbs, then bake until golden brown.
- Lobster Newberg:
- A luxurious dish of lobster meat in a rich, creamy brandy and sherry sauce, traditionally served over toast points.
- Cucumber Tea Sandwiches:
- Thinly sliced cucumbers and herbed cream cheese on crustless white bread, cut into dainty finger sandwiches.
- Petit Fours:
- Delicate, bite-sized cakes adorned with intricate icing and decorative touches, perfect for a sweet treat.
- Chocolate Fondue:
- Set up a decadent chocolate fondue station with an assortment of fruits, marshmallows, and biscuits for dipping.
- Champagne and Prohibition-era Cocktails:
- Offer a selection of classic cocktails like Martinis, Old Fashioneds, and French 75s, along with a variety of champagne options for toasting.
- Gourmet Cheese and Charcuterie Board:
- Arrange an elegant display of assorted cheeses, cured meats, fruits, and nuts for a sophisticated grazing option.
- Artisanal Sweets:
- Include an array of elegant pastries, tarts, and cakes like lemon tarts, éclairs, and mille-feuille for a touch of sweet extravagance.
Remember to label each dish with elegant, Gatsby-inspired name cards to add a whimsical touch. This lavish spread will not only delight your guests’ taste buds but also transport them to the glamorous world of Jay Gatsby’s extravagant parties!
Great Gatsby Party Decoration Ideas
Decorating for a Great Gatsby-themed party is all about capturing the opulence, glamour, and sophistication of the 1920s. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you set the stage for a roaring good time:
- Color Palette:
- Stick to a luxurious color scheme of gold, black, and white. These colors evoke a sense of opulence and elegance that are synonymous with the Gatsby era.
- Art Deco Accents:
- Incorporate Art Deco-inspired patterns and designs. Look for geometric shapes, fan motifs, and symmetrical patterns in decorations, tableware, and even in your invitations.
- Fabrics and Textures:
- Opt for lush, textured fabrics like velvet, silk, and satin. Consider using them for tablecloths, curtains, and upholstery to add a touch of luxury.
- If possible, rent or use vintage-inspired furniture. Pieces with clean lines, mirrored surfaces, and metallic accents can help recreate the upscale ambiance of the 1920s.
- Create a warm, ambient glow with strategically placed table lamps, chandeliers, and string lights. Consider using lampshades with Art Deco patterns to tie in with the theme.
- Opt for tall, dramatic centerpieces. Crystal or glass vases with feathers, pearls, and lush flowers like white roses or orchids can be stunning focal points.
- Table Settings:
- Use gold-rimmed or black-and-white dinnerware and vintage glassware. Add elegance with ornate napkin rings, and consider personalized place cards with an Art Deco touch.
- Mirrors and Reflections:
- Mirrors were a significant design element in the 1920s. Use mirrored trays or table runners to create a sense of opulence and to reflect light around the room.
- Feathers and Pearls:
- Incorporate feathers and pearls into your decor. Feathered centerpieces, pearl garlands, and even feathered boa drapery can add a touch of flapper flair.
- Gilded Details:
- Introduce gilded accents wherever possible. This can include gold-framed mirrors, candle holders, and even gilded champagne flutes.
- Greenery and Florals:
- Balance the glitz with greenery. Place potted palms or ferns around the venue to evoke the lush gardens of Gatsby’s mansion.
- Personal Touches:
- Incorporate references to the novel, such as green lights, old-fashioned telephones, or vintage books as decorative elements.
- Lounge Areas:
- Set up elegant lounge areas with plush seating and vintage furniture. Add throw pillows and blankets for comfort and style.
Remember, attention to detail is key when creating an immersive Gatsby-themed atmosphere. With the right decor, your guests will feel like they’ve stepped straight into Jay Gatsby’s extravagant parties!
Music for a Great Gatsby Themed Party
At a Great Gatsby party, the music sets the tone and transports guests back to the roaring twenties. Here’s a selection of music that captures the essence of the era:
- Jazz Standards:
- Louis Armstrong – “What a Wonderful World”
- Duke Ellington – “Take the ‘A’ Train”
- Ella Fitzgerald – “Summertime”
- Bessie Smith – “St. Louis Blues”
- Benny Goodman – “Sing, Sing, Sing”
- Big Band Hits:
- Glenn Miller – “In the Mood”
- Count Basie – “April in Paris”
- Tommy Dorsey – “I’m Getting Sentimental Over You”
- Artie Shaw – “Begin the Beguine”
- Charleston and Swing Dance Music:
- The Charleston – “The Charleston”
- Cab Calloway – “Minnie the Moocher”
- Benny Goodman – “Sing, Sing, Sing”
- Jimmie Lunceford – “Rhythm is Our Business”
- Crooners and Vocalists:
- Bing Crosby – “Pennies From Heaven”
- Rudy Vallee – “As Time Goes By”
- Al Jolson – “Swanee”
- Ethel Waters – “Stormy Weather”
- Blues and Rhythm & Blues:
- Robert Johnson – “Sweet Home Chicago”
- Ma Rainey – “Bo-Weevil Blues”
- Blind Lemon Jefferson – “Black Snake Moan”
- Tampa Red – “It Hurts Me Too”
- Instrumental Jazz:
- Django Reinhardt – “Minor Swing”
- Coleman Hawkins – “Body and Soul”
- Charlie Parker – “Ornithology”
- Art Tatum – “Tea for Two”
- Roaring Twenties Hits:
- George Gershwin – “Rhapsody in Blue”
- Ben Bernie – “Sweet Georgia Brown”
- Helen Kane – “I Wanna Be Loved By You”
- George Olsen – “Dinah”
- Dance Remixes and Modern Interpretations:
- Electro Swing artists like Caravan Palace, Parov Stelar, and Swingrowers offer modern takes on vintage sounds that can add a contemporary twist to the party.
Remember to curate a playlist that balances slower, more mellow tunes with lively dance numbers to keep the energy up throughout the evening. A mix of instrumental pieces and vocal tracks will also provide variety and cater to different musical tastes. Don’t forget to include some iconic Gatsby era hits for that authentic touch!
Great Gatsby Party Ideas Final Note
In conclusion, hosting a Great Gatsby themed party is an invitation to step back in time and indulge in the opulence and glamour of the roaring twenties. From the lavish decor to the elegant fashion and the swinging jazz, every element of the party is designed to transport guests to the world of Jay Gatsby’s extravagant soirées.
In the end, a Great Gatsby-themed party is more than just an event. It’s an immersive journey into a world of glamour, style, and celebration. It’s a reminder that, even in our modern times, we can still revel in the timeless elegance of the roaring twenties. So, gather your feathered headbands and raise a glass to the magic of Gatsby!
I use affiliate links in some blog posts. If you click through and make a purchase, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to yourself. Thank you for your support.